1923: A log cabin was erected for use as a lookout station.
1939: "The old log cabin erected on Mount Carlton in the northwest corner of Northumberland County, 2696 ft. above sea level, in 1923 as a Lookout Station was replaced under this project by a modern frame cupola cabin with improved equipment. Enrollees were transferred from project on September 18th, all equipment and supplies being moved via Nictau and the Mamozekial Portage, a distance of 25 miles to the site. The cabin was single boarded, covered with heavy paper and novelty siding. The roof was shingled and the cabin sheathed inside on account of the exposed position. The cupola was glass enclosed and the whole securely anchored to the supporting rock with guy wires. A small storage cabin was also erected nearby. The work was finished on November 21st taking somewhat longer than expected on account of rain and cold weather." (National Forestry Programme) (103rd Annual Report of the Department of Lands and Mines)
1955: "The road to Mt. Carleton Lookout Station in ranger district 5-4 was improved with the cooperation of Murphy Lumber Company. Further improvements to this road will be necessary at a later date." (119th Annual Report of the Department of Lands and Mines)